APEAL demonstrates its support of art education by regularly granting scholarships to talented art students and budding artists. A high-profile jury picks the winners and results are announced at a gathering attended by students, university and art center representatives, artists, members of the press and friends of APEAL.
Scholarship recipients are from local Lebanese Universities AUB, USEK, ALBA, LAU and USJ.
APEAL also regularly supports gifted students and emerging artists’ projects to reach new heights. Special programs have included:
- Sponsorship - Najla el Zein, “The Wind Portal”, 2013 – Victoria and Albert Museum, London http://www.najlaelzein.com/index.php/project/the-wind-portal-2/
- Co-sponsorship - Exchange program between Germany and LAU – 10 students
- Sponsorship – Art Exhibition – Exposure 2014 – Beirut Art Center
- Sponsorship – Répertoire des Artistes, Agenda Culturel, Lebanon
- Co-sponsorship - "All the World's Future”, 2015 – Venice Biennale – Khalil Joreige and Joana Hadjithomas’ participation in the collective exhibition under the direction of Okwui Enwezor
- Special Scholarship – Training costs of Lebanese student from Ashkal Alwan
- Special Scholarship – Mario Saba, Montreal, Canada
- Scholarships Support – Life (Lebanese International Finance Executives) Event 2014, promoting Lebanese artists
- Project support – The Boghossian Foundation Prize for Young Lebanese Artists
APEAL also commissions select artists for public art installations, stimulating and enriching the country’s cultural fabric. Such public programming contributes to APEAL’s vision for a vibrant and forward-thinking post-conflict society in Lebanon.
Recent programs include:
- The Fisherman and the Cloud - Nadim Karam
- Letter to a Refusing Pilot - Akram Zaatari